National Support Officer
National Support Officer
Head of Service - Special Projects
The maintenance and administration of Contact the Elderly groups across England
Hours of Work
5 days per week (35 hours) This is a fixed-term contract for 16 months
Place of Work
Contact the Elderly’s Mission
- To relieve the loneliness of isolated elderly people, who live alone with little or no support from family or friends.
- To encourage volunteers to find enjoyment and fulfilment in achieving our purpose, by providing a unique and valuable nationwide service of regular companionship for lonely elderly people.
Purpose of job:
- To support our team of loyal and valued volunteers throughout an agreed area
- To manage Contact the Elderly (CtE) groups across England both in established groups and new groups generated by the Development Officers (DOs)
- To assist with the recruitment and management of volunteers and older guests
- To ensure CtE systems and processes are followed
- To provide an effective administrative service working with the DOs
- To ensure an effective flow of information within the organisation
- To work with the team of DOs to innovate and find solutions to enable us to achieve our goals
- Assist with the recruitment of volunteers and guests as required to sustain and expand groups.
- Provide regular and appropriate communication with volunteer group coordinators to support them and encourage increased self-sufficiency.
- Administer the volunteer recruitment process e.g. application forms, references and the DBS process, and follow up as necessary, keeping the relevant DOs informed.
- Adhere to Contact the Elderly’s volunteer recruitment procedures and ensure that paper and electronic processes and systems are followed.
- Respond to and deal appropriately with all enquiries in an efficient and timely manner
- Maintain accurate database records of new and existing volunteers, older guests and referrers in all areas, making annual checks of group lists with each group coordinator and remove obsolete data
- Work with the DOs and Communications team to increase awareness of CtE via the media, exhibitions, presentations etc
- Work with DOs to set up robust systems for communication and liaise with DOs on a regular basis
- Communicate appropriately with individuals, including those on waiting lists
- Attend staff/team/annual meetings and training courses as required in other parts of the Country or National Office
- Share ‘good practice’ in working with volunteers and older guests
- Seek feedback, stories and photos from the groups and provide photographs and quotes for newsletters and annual reports
- Liaise with outside organisations and work collaboratively
- Carry out other reasonable tasks given to you by your Line Manager.
Job Title: National Support Officer
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills – written and verbal
- Understanding of and empathy with the issues affecting older people who are isolated and lonely
- Ability to engage with and communicate appropriately with older people and generally with people from all walks of life
- Organised and methodical approach to work
- Self-motivated, and able to work with minimal supervision and under pressure to meet deadlines
- An ability to work on own initiative as well as part of a team
- Flexible and resilient
- Able to manage volunteers from a distance
- Recent experience of recruiting working with, and supporting volunteers
- Able and competent administration and communication experience
- Computer literate to high standard including database maintenance and Microsoft Office, with knowledge of mail merging from data sources
Commitment to the following personal values and attitudes must be demonstrated:
- Positive attitude towards all age-related issues
- The value of the voluntary sector and volunteer activity
- An environment promoting equality of opportunity, recognising and valuing diversity
- Flexible interactive teamwork
- Providing excellent customer service to volunteers, older guests, referrers etc.
- Promoting a positive image of Contact the Elderly at all times
To apply please email a copy of your CV, with a covering letter outlining how your experience matches the role (in no more than 1500 words) to: email@example.com
Closing date: 5.00pm on Monday 27th November 2017 / Interviews will be held at our National Office in London on Thursday 7th December 2017